Sunday, November 28, 2010

Exquisite Holmegaard Glass as captured with the very special SONY NEX-5

Per Lütken (1916-1998) Heart vase designed for Holmegaard in 1958.
Friday I decided to purchase a new camera - my old camera being the Canon A-1 bought in Hong Kong in 1984. Most of the images posted on this blog over the past two years were taken with my Cell phone camera and a small digital camera from work. I received advice from numerous individuals, including recommendations from my very own brother, Alan Hon - as to the ultimate choice of camera for my particular needs. At first it was a toss-up between the Nikon D3100, the Canon EOS 500D and or a Sony Alpha. In the end, after much thought, and a convincing recommendation from a colleague at work, Angus Campbell (an Industrial Designer), I purchased the new compact Sony Alpha NEX-5. The compact and lightweight design being the deciding factors. I could not face walking round with a bulky camera whilst on holiday- like a true Japanese tourist.
Sony NEX-5
Needless to say that Friday afternoon and early Saturday morning was spent trying out the new toy in my studio - the back 'stoep' (balcony floor) with its neutral grey cement finish. The lighting is absolutely perfect as the posted photos will testify.  
Per Lütken (1916-1998) Heart vase (1958).
I decided to photograph three products from my small collection of fifties glass, especially the Holmegaard heart vase (one of two in my collection) and two of seven rectangle tube vases (all different colour combinations). The two types of vases compliment each other, as the heart shaped vases resembles the female and the rectangular tube like vase, reminiscent of a condom, the male equivalent. 
Per Lütken (1916-1998) Heart vase
Per  Lütken (1965)
by Erling Mandelmann
The heart shaped vases are attributed to the danish glass maker Per Lütken (1916-1998). He designed more than 3000 pieces for Holmegaard from 1942 until his death in 1998. The pieces in my collection was designed during the late fifties and early sixties. I am particularly interested in them because of the symbolic aspect of their design (heart shaped). The other vase in my collection has a smokey black interior.





The following rectangle tube vases are very special to me, especially the first one, clear glass with smokey black tube interior. I am not sure of the designer or the factory that produced these - please can anyone assist me in this regard. I have searched the Internet and I am sorry to say none the wiser. I will be most grateful if someone can even assist with where to start looking for the origin of these vases.



Please could you leave your comments regarding the photos, the quality of the lighting, styling of the images and the vases themselves. Very soon I will post images of my entire collection. As soon as I get feedback on the designer and the factory that produced these vases.





7 comments:

Unknown said...

What amazing images Eugene. I know you have been wanting to buy a camera for some time now and it looks like you made a great choice. All the best with this new adventure.

woodfirer said...

I think they must be Murano.
I found a similar ones (but not as beautiful as your's) here: http://www.twenga.co.uk/search.php?q=sommerso+sommerso&u=q&c=785
greetings from snowy Denmark!

jim said...

hi eugene, beautiful images... beautiful glass. i'm no professional but the range of hue in the heart shaped vase photos seems to be quite broad. i'm curious as to the maximum pixel resolution of the camera

Username said...

Hi Eugene,
Just a note to let you know that I have added your blog to the blogroll on Simon Levin's Wikiclay.

http://wikiclay.com/wiki/clayceramics-blogs

YOu have wonderful content,and we hope to bring more of your talent to the world by listing you on the wiki!

(I always wanted a Canon A-1, but could never afford it.)

Eugene Hon said...

Dear Jim, thanks for your comments. To answer your question - 14.2megapixels. The sale included a double lens kit; E16 mm F2.8/E and a 18-55mm F3.5 -5.6 OSS. Just what I need. However a Zoom lens will be available soon, up to 200mm, but will cost almost as much as the price for the camera and the double lens kit. Probably worth it, but the need is greater elsewhere.

Anonymous said...

Hi Eugene

The vases you got there is known as Murano sommerso Sommerso meaning "submerged" or "sunken" in in Italian. Sommerso was first developed in Murano during the late thirties and was made popular by Seguso d'Arte in the fifties.

Interesting blog. Come have a look at my shop when you around Cape Town.

Regards Ernst from Mid-Century Modern

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mid-Century-Modern/197443306940050?ref=ts

franzjosef said...

The red and yellow vase is an Italian Murano piece by probably Flavio Poli for Seguso or Alessandro Mandruzzato, although I think of it as Poli's design. As for the first one I am pretty sure it is a Swedish Strömbergshyttan vase, and in that case it would be an Asta Strömberg's design.