Monday, April 20, 2009

Workshop @ Walford's Pottery Studio.
















Studio of Andrew Walford; located at the Shongweni Hills, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa.

I presented a workshop to the members of Ceramics SA in the KwaZulu Natal Province this past weekend. The venue was the quintessential studio of one of South Africa's renown potters, Andrew Walford - he was recently featured as the Artist of the day, Wednesday April 15, on Carole Epp's blog, Musing about Mud. She mentioned the location of his homestead and studio in the rolling peace of the Shongweni Hills, halfway between Pietermaritzburg and Durban. I thought it necessary to share these images (taken with my cell phone) to showcase just how beautiful it really is. I always admire the lifestyles of potters when they get it right - manage to live off their work.
















View east of Shongweni hills.
The workshop I presented was one of three conducted this year - focusing on the major factors impacting on the development of ceramics in the 21st century. I also showcased my ceramic works - from Concept to Product; emphasising the role of surface development as part of the conceptual development phase of my work. I did so in the context of contemporary developments in ceramic transfers and decals, with specific reference to the work of designers and ceramists featured in the fabulous new book fragiles, Porcelain, Glass and Ceramics edited by Robert Klanten, Sven Ehmann and Sabrina Grill.













The Walford homestead with some of their pets.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.